TerrapinSTRONG Action Plan for Supervisors & Administrators
- Campus Unit: TerrapinSTRONG
As a new community member, your TerrapinSTRONG action plan is an important way for you to explore community, connection, and inclusion at the University of Maryland. As a leader responsible for others, there are more things you can do to further community, connection, and inclusion in your unit and beyond.
Address your Community
- Acknowledge power dynamics in your supervisory relationships.
- Instill pride in the university and your program.
- Build time into your onboarding to encourage new staff to explore the campus community.
- Implement your own TerrapinSTRONG initiatives that improve community, connection, & inclusion in your area.
- Teach your new staff the values and expectations of your department.
- Educate new employees on the resources available to them.
Build Meaningful Connections
- Create opportunities for your employees to network outside your department.
- Encourage collaboration, especially in decision-making.
- Support creative new approaches to the work.
- Trust your employees to get things done.
- Support your employees' learning & recognize their accomplishments & contributions.
- Provide space for employees with marginalized identities to find support & belonging.
- Demonstrate vulnerability & encourage everyone to be their authentic selves at work.
- Make time for people to get to know each other personally.
- Assign resources (people, time, & funds) to equity & inclusion initiatives.
- Role model lifelong learning by participating in learning opportunities dedicated to your own development as an inclusive practitioner.
- Set the explicit expectation that employees will be inclusive in word and deed.
- Give your time as a Fostering Terp Success mentor, UndocuTerp Rapid Response Team member, or Alternative Break advisor and encourage these opportunities for your team.
- Consider diverse representation when booking speakers, performances, & presentations.
- Interrogate practices & procedures for equity & inclusion, especially in planning & reflection.