New name, same great services
The Hate-Bias Response Program is now Bias Incident Support Services (BISS). The program will continue to provide the same services to community members affected by a hate-bias incident.
Hate-Bias Response Team
- The primary role of the Hate-Bias Response Team is to review hate-bias incidents, to provide appropriate responses based on the nature of the incident and to work collaboratively to provide educational outreach to the campus.
- The team does not replace any of the current procedures and protocols in place to resolve alleged violations of policies regarding student conduct, discrimination, sexual misconduct, or violations of criminal law. Rather, the team seeks to ensure that there is a more streamlined and effective process for handling hate-bias incidents, including providing support to impacted parties.
- The team does not seek to limit academic freedom, but rather, to foster a campus community where students, faculty and staff of all identities feel welcomed and supported.
The Hate-Bias Response Team is made up of members from the following campus units:
- The Counseling Center
- The Office of Civil Rights and Sexual Misconduct
- The Office of Diversity and Inclusion
- The Office of Resident Life
- The Office of Student Conduct
- The University of Maryland Police Department
- The University Health Center
The goals of the Hate-Bias Response Team are to:
- Implement and continuously improve a streamlined system for the campus community to report hate-bias incidents.
- Provide a coordinated response to hate-bias incidents with input from impacted individuals and key stakeholders.
- Provide immediate support for those impacted by hate-bias incidents.
- Monitor patterns of hate-bias incidents on campus in order to provide recommendations to university leadership for trainings, programs, policies and practices.
- Continuously engage the campus community members in education, dialogue, and awareness around hate and bias.
- Implement and continuously improve a system for communicating reports of hate-bias incidents to the campus community.
The Hate-Bias Response Team also works closely with various divisions across campus who can provide expertise. These include:
- The Graduate Student Government
- The LGBT Equity Center
- The Nyumburu Cultural Center
- The Office of Multicultural Involvement & Community Advocacy [MICA]
- The Office of Strategic Communications
- The Student Government Association
- The University Chaplains
- The University of Maryland Department of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Report a Hate-Bias incidentThe University of Maryland values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive and respectful campus for students, faculty and staff. Acts of bias and intimidation go against our university’s core values. If you have been impacted by and/or have witnessed a hate-bias incident, you can file a report by completing the online form.
You may also contact UMPD by calling:Emergency: 911 or 301-405-3333 - Mobile Phone #3333